Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Goldilocks and the chair

I purchased a new chair at Office Depot. This is the Patriot. It was on sale for $119 and is an 8 hour task chair. I'd intended it for work where the two chairs I sit in have both been broken for about 2 years. Longer, even, if I think about it. I'd felt responsible for breaking them because I'm so overweight but this really nice guy at Office Depot explained to me that it's not weight but the many times you get up and down that will eventually break the chair. For a fat person to hear that sort of news was heartening; except I still think it is my weight.

Anyway, for the last 2 years I'd make the occasional foray into Office Depot and go sit in the chairs in the back and felt very much like Goldilocks testing out furniture in the Bear's house. The only ones that would come close to feeling okay cost $30 and we figured that a chair that didn't cost much wouldn't last long. Also, there was the matter of getting them to coordinate with the furniture in the office. So, I'd sit there at work and slowly sink as I worked at the computer or the desk. Or, I'd go to sit down and it would be like somebody had removed the chair; it would be as if it weren't there which is a horrible shock to anybody's system.

So, over the weekend I got this chair. And, I was trying to figure out how to get it up to the office on Monday when it occurred to me that I hadn't given it a good test and if you got real about it my chair at home was a torment to my back too. My back has become a living, breathing, aggravating torment lately. I'm good for about 4 hours in the day and then, that's it. It's agony for the rest of the day. Every day. No matter what I do. So, I'm keeping it. I put it together last night and just rolled it back here to the study prior to beginning this post. I've got to say it's a little wobbley. I'm not sure if that's the way it's supposed to be or if that's how I've got all the different levers adjusted.

I'm working my way through, "The Drums of Autumn" by Diana Gabaldon, the 4th book in the Outlander series. I've read them 15 times (which means I really don't know how many times it's been, but it's been a lot). I'd even gotten to the point where I'd just feel like reading the story, pick up one of the books, open it to a favorite spot and read for 2 days. I've never done that with any books before and I've got to say I sort of like it. But, this time I started with the first one and have worked my way through.

I ordered Diana's book, "Lord John and the Private Matter" from the library and have it now to read. It's not a part of the series, but a sort of spin off with one of the characters. I'm looking forward to reading it. And, somewhere in this house I have the last, the 5th book in her series, "The Fiery Cross". Except, I can't find it. So, Drums may be it for awhile. As I recall, Dennis bought me the hard back and it's too heavy for me to handle. I might have sent it to my sister. I have this vague memory of having done that. Only, why would I have sent her the 5th in the series without also sending her the first 4 books? Beats me...later note: I found it. Interestingly, as I walked into the bedroom my eyes went right to it where it sits in the bookcase. Over the weekend I looked all over the place for it. So, that, is one of those "psychic" things that folks can do.

Anyway, this entry isn't so much about what it's like to be psychic as what it's like to be Pauline. Reminds me of that movie, "Being John Malcovich". Very odd movie. Very odd indeed.

Also, over the weekend I purchased a 56k modem for the other computer that sits under my desk. The idea is to see what it's like for folks who've got a 56k modem to see Talking To Spirit. Right away I discovered the text/image skyscraper ad I've got doesn't load up right away and slows the whole thing down. So, this morning I changed that to a text only ad. That should be better. I was gettting tired of seeing that hunky guy anyway. LOL. A sign of getting old? One of the guides said, "No, only demented." Ha.

No comments: