Sunday, August 07, 2005

Our 29th Anniversary


Dennis and I are returned from an overnight visit to a lighthouse B&B. We went to the East Brother Light Station It was delightful. At the left is an aerial view of East Brother, May 11, 1945. (U.S, Coast Guard).

I admit I was a bit leery of being able to physically manage getting on and off the boat; when we arrived four steps going up the ladder because the tide was in from the bobbing boat, but 12 steps going down into the boat because the tide was out when we left, but I did okay. The last step I took, though, was the one that did my knee in when we returned to the main land. So, I'm taking it easy this afternoon; the old magic prescription of ice and ibuprophen. But, overall, I feel it was just a delightful trip.

And, I forgot that I shouldn't have anything with caffeine in it after lunch. For dinner I had a couple of cokes. Consequently, I was awake most of the night. There's just no way around it. I just can't handle this stuff anymore.

Some people say they've seen ghosts there and one of the ladies in the group did say she felt the presence of a bunch of people. I sang up the darkness after dinner I felt that relaxed and peaceful. It's been a long time since I did anything like that. Nobody around to comment or notice. The solitude was lovely, I thought. Though, Isabella had said that after having lived there for 2 years she thinks it's a bit too lonely. She and her husband Lucien live there with their little dog, Lucy, named for Lucielle Ball.

Isabella made the most delicious meals for us. Dinner was incredible with chicken, green beans with orange zest, rice with dried cherries or cranberries in it and some sort of sticky sauce on the bottom. Just fantastic. Something incredibly chocolate and decadent for dessert. There was lots of wine for folks who wanted that and Dennis and I had cokes. Next time I remember to ask for 7-Up or something decaffeinated.

This morning, breakfast was just as special. They had shell molded bowls that she made individual French Toast Soufflés in. The tops were dusted with cinnamon and it looked like crested waves. Just fantastic. I wish I could do things like that.


There were 3 other couples there with us; two of them also celebrating wedding anniversaries and one celebrating the lady's birthday. There are 4 very nicely done rooms in the light house itself. Dennis and I, upon the recommendation of folks at his work, asked for Walter's Quarters, which is a small room and toilet some 100 feet away, at the other end of the island from the lighthouse. I loved it. In the middle of the night you could get up and go stand outside to watch the water. In the house I wouldn't have felt like I could do that. So, I was very pleased with where we were. Dennis will have some pictures eventually that I'll put up with this entry. Walter was one of the inn keepers. Interestingly, he was there as a guest when the innkeeper left his 18 year old wife in charge by herself. Walter pitched in and stayed 20 years or more.

Lucien gave us a tour this morning and Dennis will be returning to the island weekend after next with Eric to do the ground work they need to set up East Brother Light Station as the first picture in the next Then and Now book they do. Also, Dennis wants to do a story on the light house for his tab for up in the area for the newspaper. Isabella and Lucien are leaving shortly after having been there for 2 years, but are handing the reins over to some friends who take over after them. Eventually, Isabelle said they were thinking they might like to end up in Italy. What a dream.


I worried about the kitties while we were gone, but everyone seems to be happy. They all greeted us at the door when we arrived back shortly after noon. We'd left them 3 litter boxes, extra stars and their dinner. I'd turned a fan on and left windows open in the back and made sure the radio was playing softly. Called Phil, who knew we were going, and left him Dennis' cell phone number in case there was a problem. We were even able to get Samantha into the house before we left. She and Mitzie were the first out of the door when we got back. So, though I worried about them, they were fine.

One thing that did happen last night was that at one point during my sleepless time I started seeing eyes. Lots of them. Pairs and one, but no faces. Which was odd. And, it got faster. I observed placidly. Doesn't help to get upset by that stuff. At one point I did get frightened before all the eye business started, but I pulled the sheet over me and turned over. The feeling went away. The next morning, Robin said she'd felt the presence of folks and even Dennis said he'd heard something during the night. I too had heard what sounded like the latch on the bathroom door being thrown, but didn't think much of it.

East Brother Light Station 117 Park Place, Point Richmond, CA 94801 Phone: 510.233.2385




No comments: