Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Spiritual Matters

I don't practice the idea of right company. Because I'm a hermit sort of person by nature, I suppose. But, I do encounter any number of people when I go to work during the course of any weekday. And, I have to admit that being, seeking spirituality ain't number one thing to do on our hit parade. It's making money. Also, it's griping. Also, it's complaining. Also, it's whining. That's about it.

I was thinking about it last night as I flipped through the channels on television after I'd gotten home from work. Wayne Dyer had a commercial spot on the public television station and he was talking about how if you change the way you look at things the things you look at will change. And, he's got a point about it. But, it was about the most profound thing I'd listened to all day. And, that's when I was reminded that I don't practice right company.

I also need to say I'm not going to either. I am a solitary sort of person and I don't chum around with folks. They tend to take more of my time than I'm willing to give. Also, I'm a very private sort of person (though why I'm doing a blog which is to unveil all is beyond me this morning). The few experiences I've had with friends in my pocket haven't lasted long. But, long distance friends I'm okay with.

So, what I need to do, I think, is to devote more time to my own spiritual needs. One of the guides just suggested an uplifting passage. That would work. Also, I think I need to be less the mean secretary and more the accomodating one. Except, when I do that folks tend to take advantage, but maybe that's what I need to do. My life is one of service anyway; that it take the form of secretarial duties shouldn't matter.

Also, something I can do as far as my own inner calm is to leave it all at the door. I should try harder to not bring home the anxiousness, the anxiety, the anger that I am exposed to at work. In the 15 years I've been there the situation has always been the same, so this is nothing new. And, I don't expect that it will change. There are a few members of my company who glide placidly through their days and don't seem to be affected by the turmoil others express. I could be more like them.

Actually, that's not a bad theme for a new webpage at Talking To Spirit - How to feel spiritual amidst the turmoil of your ordinary life. Actually, now that I think about it, no matter what your day is like if you have that spiritual turn of mind it would make a difference. At least, I think it would. Anyway, that could be a project for the weekend.

No comments: