Monday, October 10, 2005

Advertising

I have to rant. I don’t do it often. But, I’ve had enough of stupid and annoying advertisements at http://www.about.com/ This is really a great website, but the popup advertisements they have are spoiling anything they have to offer. I just wrote them a letter, which I doubt anybody will ever respond to. What I thought I might do, instead, is to write about their site on the internet. And, maybe then they will take notice. Or not. But, if I can get anybody at About.com to listen and to take off the annoying advertisements that get in the way and stay in the way, obliterating portions of what you’re trying to read on their website…I’d be happy.

At the same time I might mention the Better Homes and Garden website does something similar. If you find something you want to look at the first thing you have to do is to read a really huge advertisement. They’re sneaky too. There is no X or close button right away. So you sit there steaming reading the ding donged thing and then the X eventually appears. But, you were forced to read it. It’s really irritating. I’ve gotten so much Spam from registering to read anything at Better Homes and Garden it’s enough to make you sick. Suddenly two novels show up in the mail and I get a bill for $1.99. I decided to keep them thinking they might be good. The first one is horrible. Somebody in the 9th grade…excuse me 7th grade might have written it. And, what I do not understand is this is from an author who is advertised as being a New York Times Bestselling Writer. I just don’t understand. I’ve gotten bills for 3 magazines I’ve never gotten. All from wanting to read one recipe from http://www.bhg.com/ Forget it. I’m about to go through my website and take all links to those sites off. I don’t think I’ve got any to Better Homes and Gardens, but I know I’ve got a boatload to http://www.about.com/ . and it’s too bad because I really liked their site.

1 comment:

Alan Howard said...

Use Firefox and get the AdBlock extension. Your life will become sooo much better after that. :-)