Sunday, November 27, 2005

Just a Quick Comment

Just a quick comment.  It’s interesting that even with tri-focals I am not always spot-on with what I read.  I was just reading somebody else’s blog and they said, “fangirl” and I read, “fatgirl”.  Having just made it through the Thanksgiving holiday…perhaps that is on my mind.  

I was reminded, though, of how very important it is when you rely upon a spell-checker that you don’t just blithely accept whatever is suggested as a correct spelling.  For instance, once I had composed a letter to a man and at the end of it said, “I’m sorry for the inconvenience.”  I knew I hadn’t spelled inconvenience correctly, but was all set to rely upon ye olde spell-checker to bail me out.  Yikes.  In a flash of the eye however, inconvenience was changed to incontinence.  And, I had already hit the send button.  

That was when I learned I could delay sending emails by about 10 seconds and just have them sit around in my outbox for that long.  That’s all it takes to realize you’ve done the most embarrassing thing alive.  Since then having my emails sit there until I either hit send again or just allow the timer to count down has come in really handy.

By the way, I never did hear anything from the guy I’d sent that letter to.   Hopefully, he read it too fast to realize what I’d done.

  

No comments: