Tuesday, November 22, 2005

What to Make for Dinner

I haven’t quite decided what to do for Thanksgiving dinner. We’ll be having one guest, Phil our neighbor. We have a gift certificate for $100 to a restaurant in the area, but knowing what their prices are like that would only take care of 2 people. So, I’m cooking. What, I just don’t know. I’m inclined toward a ham or a roast, but it’s going to depend on what is available at the store when I get there. And, I figure I’m probably going to be buying it all on Thanksgiving day. Such is the way of the working woman.

My mother would not have done things this way. Leaving it up to the last minute. The stores wouldn’t be open that day anyway. At least, I hope ours will be. I surely don’t want to go shopping Wednesday night. Can you imagine how crowded it will be?

Anyway, I’ve never in my life done anything with sweet potatoes. And, I think that would be nice to have with a ham. I think I would like to do one adventurous thing. I wonder how hard it would be and what the margin for error on elbowing up the whole thing. Notice I’m trying to cure myself of swearing. I will now use the word elbow..or try to. It appears to be working. This is a hint from one of the guides that was delivered right after I’d called somebody an a**hole for the fifth time in 2 minutes. I swear the drivers in Oakland don’t go to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get their driver’s licenses. They come in boxes of Cracker Jack.

Anyway, just to be different are there any Folk in Spirit who’d like to discuss the Evanosky’s Thanksgiving Day Dinner? Yes, this is Julia Child. No…I thought of you, but I thought it was just me messing up. No, who else? How are you, Dear? I’m good. How about you? Fine and dandy. Really, Julia Child? Yes. You have asked about cooking? To do it up and have the time you need you would need to enlist the help of your friend who does not work. But, I know you are not going to do that, so you could consider a buffet. You do not have a dining room table, so space is very limited. Setting up your card table is awkward. Stick with your tv tray tables. Okay, that sounds logical. But, you said a buffet. Like we’d serve ourselves out in the kitchen? No, I mean setting the card table up behind your loveseat and filling it full of goodies to eat. You can get away with carrot and celery sticks and a bowl of olives. You could prepare some crustini with minced garlic on top setting it in your broiler to brown and toast. I’m thinking you’re way more ambitious than I really want to be. What do you want? Peanut and butter sandwiches? Well, no. Then, you should go out. Don’t have the turkey if they don’t do it the way you like it done. Look, I really appreciate you coming by to talk about this, but I just don’t know. I was thinking about throwing some sort of meat into the oven, having some rolls, doing up some potatoes and a vegetable. I was just sort of thinking about the sweet potatoes, but I don’t think I’m really going to do them.

Okay, I’m going to need to think about all of this. Maybe we can put the card table up, but I’m wondering if the cats will be jumping up on it. Well, they might. It would be healthy to have carrot and celery sticks. Can I marinate them in something?

I just keep thinking about how I’m diabetic too. I’m also fasting and talking about food isn’t helping. I’m thinking I should leave the house early this morning before work to go have that blood work done. I can have water, but nothing else.

Okay, enough grousing. Thanks, Julia. I’ve so enjoyed talking to you. As it gets closer to the dinner I’ll be calling on you again if you don’t mind. My pleasure.

No comments: