Saturday, July 22, 2006

Dreaming

At work I am the mean secretary.  Even in my dreams.  The last one was so funny I woke up laughing.

I was in a big room doing something secretarial.  Whatever it was wasn’t happening well and I had a small sense of frustration at the task.  Then, my boss steams past me roaring out, “Grab a notebook and follow me!”  He does one of these wide arm gestures for me to follow him.  We are on our way to a meeting.  I narrow my eyes and snort (this is what mean secretaries generally do) and instead of getting just one pad of paper I grab a handful.  I may be mean, but I am always prepared.  

I notice there are a number of people in the room we are leaving, all younger than myself.  As we go into the next larger room I notice many, many more of these young people.  And, they are all whining at me as I go past them.  “Can I have one of those?  Hey, give me a note book!  I want a yellow one.  Do you have a yellow pad?”  I started cursing at them.  “Get your own damned notebook.” except, I was handing out the notebooks right and left.  What was also irritating to me was that whatever meeting we were going to I was going to be the one expected to take notes, which, actually is exactly what happens with every meeting I attend at my company.  The last person I remember snarling to in the dream was some younger woman who had somehow gotten herself into a storage cabinet.  I couldn’t see her, I could only hear her whining for a notebook.  That was the last straw.  As I rose to the surface of wakefulness I thought to myself, “I’m even a mean secretary in my dreams.”  And, for the first time in a long time I awakened laughing.  Talk about letting off steam.

No comments: