Saturday, January 13, 2007

Make Mine Neat

I was once a drunk. At the time I thought I was quite the wit. Turns out I was a twit. I’m glad that I don’t drink anymore. Sometimes I joke around and say that I’d like a drink. I’m not joking. I really would like a drink. But, I don’t do it. Like they say, you take it one day at a time. It’s more like one minute at a time. Most times, though, I just forget about it. It’s sort of like grieving for somebody. Eventually, it’s not on your mind all the time.

When you first quit drinking it’s really pretty tough. But, somewhere within you, you find the resolve that you need to do it one more time and quitting is just one attempt at it after another. At the time I thought I was a total failure not being able to quit. But, now, looking at it all from a different point in time I see all those misfires at quitting were actually part of the process of quitting.

If anybody reads this who is trying to quit drinking, or stop smoking cigarettes, or trying to get off of drugs, have hope and keep trying. It does get easier. I can say I’ve been sober for 7 years and 11 months. It doesn’t seem that long.

No comments: