Friday, April 06, 2007

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

I just finished watching, “The Notebook” based on a novel by Nicholas Sparks. I’d read the novel some years ago, but had mostly forgotten it. Actually, that’s sort of morbidly humorous because this is the story of a man and wife, so deeply in love, that the man follows his wife into a nursing facility when she loses herself to Alzheimer’s. This is the story of their life together which he reads to her every day with the hope that she will remember, just for a few moments that he is her husband and not some man who wandered into her life just that morning to read to her from a book. And, she does remember, usually at the end of the day, the love she has for him and that he has for her. She asks about their children and asks him to tell them that she loves them too.

It sounds a simple story, but I cried. I always cry when I read love stories.

No comments: