Sunday, May 13, 2007

Crab Cakes

I just made crab cakes using a recipe from Dennis’ father, Pete Evanosky. I had to follow him around the kitchen and write down what he was doing because he had never put it on paper. So, here’s what I did with ¾ of a pound of crab meat this morning.

Make bread crumbs out of 4 slices of bread. I used the food processor. Then, sautĂ© up a diced onion and 2 slices of celery. I tossed the veggies into the food processor to make quick work of the dice. It ended up as more a mush than a dice, but I think that will be fine. Pete originally used half a green pepper, but I didn’t have that so we’re using celery instead. I let that cool and then mixed in a tablespoon of Old Bay Seasoning. Then, I mixed it with the breadcrumbs.

I beat up 2 eggs and mixed that in and added 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Finally, I mixed in the ¾ of a pound of crab meat. The original recipe calls for one pound of crab meat and 6 slices of bread, so I had to adjust the quantities. It’s in the refrigerator right now chilling for a couple of hours. I’ll make up little patties, coat them with corn flake crumbs, dot with butter and bake in a 325 degree oven for half and hour to 45 minutes.

I appologize for how dark this picture is. I imagine it must have been taken 45 years ago. It's the only one we have of DeeDude's dad and interestingly enough I found it on the internet. It was part of a collection of one of DeeDude's long lost cousins. And, doubly unfortunately, I can't find the link anymore. Maybe if they were to see it they'd contact us.









No comments: