Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sleeping In

We’re sleeping in later these days. Even our 6:00 am alarm clock kitty is sleeping in. It’s because it’s not getting light as early in the morning anymore. So, on the one hand, it’s nice to have a bit more time to sleep. On the other hand, not having as much time to spend doing morning things before work is not as nice.

I’ve been thinking about the National Novel Writing Month contest coming up in November and wondering if I shouldn’t start now with gearing my hours up so that I’ve got an extra hour or more in the mornings to use for my writing. That’s what I mostly ended up doing the last time I participated.

It all sort of caught me by surprise the first time I did it. I knew the goal was to write 50,000 words between November 1 and November 30. What I didn’t anticipate was the toll it took on me. While I still have a job to go to and I still need to be able to perform at a good level I also wanted to be able to write. Like they say, don’t quit your day job. So, squeezing in time to write was important if I was going to even make a dent in 50,000 words that month.

No comments: