Friday, December 14, 2007

Where I Don't Recognize a Psychic Hit

Here’s what happened. I intended to hook a camera up to my computer to download some pictures. The camera rests in a cradle. There’s a power cord to the electric and there’s a USB cord between the camera and the cradle. Usually, the order I do things is to plug in the USB thingie first and then plug the power in. Except, it’s been awhile since I did this, I forgot how I normally did it and I neglected to plug in the USB thingie.

The cradle fired up, but the charge light was the only light to come on. Normally, I lean on the USB light and that function becomes active and then I download the photos.

Right.

So, the procedure got turned around and I’m pushing on the light/button for the USB and nothing is happening and I’m starting to get concerned. Suddenly, I realize I never plugged in the USB cable. I realized right then that this was not the normal order of how I do things and even though my intention was to now plug in the USB cable I got this very, very quiet feeling of unease about the whole thing.

That, dear readers, was my psychic hit.

And, I didn’t pay attention.

My computer broke.

The whole ding-donged screen went black and I could not get the stupid computer to turn on again. So, here I go thinking I’ve broken my computer at work and why hadn’t I done a backup recently (I will do one today) and why hadn’t I ever located the stupid Outlook.pst file to backup too because now I’m really sorry and most of all: Why the hell didn’t I pay attention to that psychic impulse?

Because it was so quiet.

Because it was such a tiny, tiny thing.

Because I’m stupid.

The guides say it’s because I’m learning. Okay, I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself. Anyway, that was the psychic hit.

Now, the good news. After trying and trying to get the computer to turn back on again with no success, we called our computer guy who was able to rearrange his plans and make an emergency visit to the office.

He unplugged the computer and plugged it back in again.

It worked.

He explained that sometimes electricity will cycle around inside the machine and somehow the computer gets confused. Unplugging it completely and plugging it back in again reset the whole thing.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Don't you just love all the technical stuff? I like your blog...great advice..Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

great story we laughed out aloud!!!!!
lv
a+k

Anonymous said...

E hele ka `elemakule, ka luahine,
a me na kamali`i a moe i ke ala
`a`ohe mea nana e ho`opilikia.
Carmen Soria