Saturday, August 29, 2009

Breathing Room

I have talked occasionally on ruts and how to get out of them. Having great personal experience with ruts I figured I was probably as qualified as the next person to talk about them. Plus, this is my site, so I can talk about what I want to talk about.

But, what happens when the stuff you do doesn’t please you anymore?

Recently, my life took a rather abrupt turn and I find myself concentrating on new things at work. There is a lot to learn and a lot to remember. I’m working longer. I’m thinking about these things even when I’m not at work. It’s taking a lot of energy. I know it’s not going to be a permanent thing and I’ll probably be getting the hang of it a year or so down the line, but for now I’m preoccupied with it.

Entries to my blogs bottomed out. The newsletter I’ve been writing for 5 years crapped out. I missed the August edition and last weekend found myself almost panicky as I sat in front of my computer for the 25th time trying in vain to find something interesting to write about that I hadn’t already beat to death in previous newsletters. Nothing came to mind. It was a bad writer’s block.

Then, I talked to my friend who suggested that I stop with the newsletter for a few months and see at the end of that time if it was going to come back in the same way it had been before, or in some other form, or if it was time to retire the idea.

Such a weight lifted from my shoulders.

I can’t tell you how relieved I was. What a no brainer! Now, I can write again.

No comments: