Saturday, August 13, 2005

Blogs vs Webpages

I have to say that working a blog is ten times easier than updating webpages. With my blog, as with many others, there is only the one page. That's it. With my website, Talking To Spirit, there are a gazillion pages. I have my pick of 450 to fiddle with. Overwhelming. That's why I'm here this morning. It's easier. Okay, I need an article for my newsletter. I think I just found it.

The Easy Way Out: I think it is human nature to move toward the easier way to do things. Actually, it might even be a law of psychics. Consider water. It doesn't run uphill. At least, not generally. So, if you figure that we humans are always going to take the easy way out how can you get us to do something that will not be the easy way out? How do you motivate somebody to do something they really don't want to do? Like a diet or an exercise program?

Maybe we need to think like the donkey and the stick. Or, the donkey and the carrot? Which is going to move a donkey forward? I don't think the stick will generally work. I think the carrot is a better motivator for donkeys. How about humans? What along the lines of a carrot is going to motivate somebody to do something?

Or, maybe it's all a matter of perspective and what is a difficult course of action for one person is not difficult for another? Maybe the idea, instead of coercing or motivating should be to change your mind so that you no longer think something is hard?

Okay. Though this grates upon me to do so, we might take myself as an example and consider the ways an exercise program is not something to shy away from. I have an excuse, I say. What is it? My knee hurts and because I've been favoring it my back and my hip hurt. I can't exercise today. Fine, you say. Fine? Yes, fine. What you can do now it to discover what exercises will strengthen your back, your knee and your hip. Oh, I say. Oh, I say again. Okay, I say. Well, I don't know how you did it, but you just removed all resistance from me as far as an exercising program goes. Exercise, for me anyway, has always hurt. I usually damage something 3 hours into the program and will not continue with it. But, if the focus of the exercise now becomes a means to shore up aging and flabby muscles that are already hurt, as a means to heal; that sort of sheds a new light on things. My resistance has magically disappeared.

No comments: