Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Car

Yikes. We need to make a decision about the Green Machine. Our 1994 Mitsubishi Mirage needs a new engine. The guides asked me the other day as I sat at a stop light how I would feel about taking the bus again. They told me to think about all the money we could save by not paying for gas and insurance and maintenance for a 2nd car. At the time I said, "Why are we talking about this?" Nobody said anything more. And, then, 2 days later I learn the car needs a new engine. So, I'm getting used to the idea. Figure a new (old) car okay enough to make the commute into Walnut Creek every day for D is going to run 4K? About? Naturally, just as our second source of income dried up.

Now, my feelings about taking the bus? Oh, Lord. I don't want to do that. I've done the bus thing before, but that was years ago. My first inclination would be that I'd need to take my cane with me. That's a big step up and down on the bus and those drivers aren't inclined to raise and lower those steps without provocation. Which means I'm going to have to ask to be treated like an old person. And, I just don't want to do that. And, being on the bus when it's crowded? And being jostled and stared at? I remember once being shoved to the back of the bus and all the little school kids had taken over the back. And, somebody threw gum in my hair. And, I turned around and glared at them and shouted, "Who did that? I want to know right now!" And, they all turned mute. At least they were quiet for awhile. But, do I want to do this again? No, a resounding no, she shouts. So, get ready to pull together the funds so we can buy another car. "Gasoline, Dear", one of the guides helpfully submits, " is $2.85 a gallon". Yes, I'm aware of that. I just need to get used to the idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm what about bicycling? Once you get going it is like being on autopilot.

How about BARTing to walnut creek and then bicylcing?

Just a suggestion. What do the guides think?

ABhay