Sunday, September 25, 2005

Symbols

There are a few symbols that I use over time that are not represented on the keyboard. Granted, I could probably find them by going into some sort of Windows Symbol Selector menu, but I learned to do it this way back in the days of DOS and have used it ever since.

The technique involves holding down the alt key and then, while it is still down, typing the numbers using the number side of your keyboard. Be aware that some of the symbols call for a leading zero.

The Cent Symbol ¢ is made by holding down the alt key and pressing 155 on your numberpad.

The Degree Symbol ° is made by holding down the alt key and then pressing 0176 on your numberpad.

The Division Symbol ÷ is made by holding down the alt key and then pressing 0247 on your numberpad.

I actually first started using these symbols when I wanted to represent boxes and graphics in my documents. Just couldn’t do it in those days. How far we’ve come and it hasn’t even been 15 years!

Here are some links for accented letters and other fun symbols…but, the ones I use most are the ¢ and the °.

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html


*¤°(¯`'·.¸(¯`'·.¸~°·»Enjoy «·°~¸.·'´¯)¸.·'´¯)°¤*

1 comment:

Dana said...

Wonderful! I actually needed this info today! thanks!