Monday, May 08, 2006

Spots

Aging has been on my mind. There are various parts of myself that just aren’t working the same as they used to. I admit that I sort of took everything for granted. It’s been clicking along pretty much the same as it has since I was in high school, but in the last few years I’ve noticed that this becoming older is speeding up.

For instance, age spots. I’ve got a lot of them now. I can’t call them freckles anymore. But, what got me to thinking was the banana I have at lunch. It has spots too. Except nobody ever refers to a banana’s spots as age spots. If anything they are called sugar spots, because it is the sugars in the banana as it grows riper that cause these spots to appear.

I’d much prefer that I think of my age spots as all that sweetness inside of me rising to the surface.

No comments: