Saturday, May 13, 2006

Mom

Mother’s Day is tomorrow and I want to remember my mother. She passed on 12 years ago. I still miss her. I don’t think that will ever stop. I could always count on her to not only take my side in any troubles I was having, but to gently suggest other ways of dealing with things. She was one of the people in my life where I felt totally supported. My mother was always polite. I think the worst curse word I ever heard her say was frap. That’s a made up word I don’t think I’ve ever heard anybody else say.

We had 5 kids in our family and 3 of them were boys. Barnyard humor was tops and many times making fun of the noises our bodies make was hilarious. Once I remember the guys were farting. Can you imagine? It was before dinner and Mom was in the kitchen. I was probably laughing, though I can’t fart on demand the way they could, so, in that sense I was not participating in the contest. Mom came out of the kitchen and announced calmly, “My farts don’t stink.” Then, not waiting for anybody to say anything she went back into the kitchen. There was absolute silence for a few seconds and then we all started howling. It was just hilarious.

I can remember talking to her on the phone and laughing so hard I’d cry. When she and I would go shopping together we’d spend all day walking through the mall. We might not buy anything, but we had more fun stopping here and looking there.

So, Happy Mother’s Day, Mom. I love you and I miss you. I miss you a lot.

No comments: