Sunday, February 05, 2006

Pilot Lights


Our neighbor Phil came to the rescue this morning. Two days ago our furnace wouldn’t turn on. It hasn’t gotten too terribly cold, so it wasn’t an immediate concern, though I knew we might still have some cold weather coming our way before the end of winter. Right now it’s about 70 degrees outside, so it’s pretty nice. But, early this morning the wind was blowing and it was cold. I got up to fiddle on the computer for a little bit, but was so cold I went back to bed where it was nice and warm.

Phil had advised us over the phone on stuff to try with the heater to get it lit. He couldn’t come over because he was dealing with gout in his foot. But, this morning he was feeling better and came over and he and Dennis got the thing started again. Turns out I was lighting the wrong place for the pilot light. What they wanted was about a foot higher. I’d been trying to light a bolt. So, it ran for about an hour. I spent some time on the phone to cancel the appointment I’d made with PG&E to come out on Wednesday to light it for us. And, because it was such a nice day we turned it off. Some time later on we tried to turn it on again and it wouldn’t start. Now, we’re talking about serious, let’s get down to business stuff. Phil came back over…hobbled back over…his foot is still hurting him. We took the blasted thing apart again and he removed, after some difficulty, the thermocouple. I took it over to the hardware store where I was informed it was ancient and I was going to have to go to any number of other places to get a replacement. I brought it back and we turned it around and we’re trying it again. It ran for about an hour and we just turned it off. We’ll try in about 20 minutes to see if it will turn on again.

No comments: